My nyonya grandma used to make this dish with pork. My version uses chicken.
- Chicken breast – 1 pair, sliced
- Coconut oil – 1 or 2 tbsp. I prefer less oil as my pan is non stick and it’s also healthier 😊
- Garlic – 3 cloves, peeled and sliced. Some recipes use it whole, up to you.
- Star anise – 1 pod
- Dark soya sauce – 2 tbsp
- Brown sugar – 1 tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Eggs – 6 boiled and peeled
- White pepper – 1 dash
- Salt – according to taste
- Heat up oil in pan and then add garlic to it. Stir fry till fragrant.
- Next, add the sliced chicken and stir fry until it’s no longer pinkish in colour.
- After that, add the dark soya sauce.
- Stir till combined and then add the water and star anise.
- Let the dish simmer for 10 minutes. Then add the white pepper and salt. If the water has evaporated quite a bit, add quarter or half a cup more to the dish and continue simmering for another minute. Add more salt if extra water is added to the pan.
- Finally, put in the boiled eggs, give it one final stir and dish out.
Best served with a bowl of steaming hot fluffy white rice.